Ellonn Smartt was just 23 weeks pregnant when her water broke. Even though the mom from Des Moines, Iowa wasn’t due until November, she stayed calm. “I knew if I panicked, the baby would pick up on that and get stressed,” Smartt told TODAY Parents . “I couldn’t let that happen.” But Smartt broke down crying when doctors at Iowa Methodist Medical Center explained the seriousness of the situation . “They said I was going to have to deliver in the next day or two and there was a good chance he wouldn’t survive,” Smartt recalled. “That was the moment when I fell apart. I was heartbroken.” Jaden was born at 23 weeks gestation. A full-term pregnancy is 40 weeks. Ellonn Smartt Smartt and her boyfriend, Jordan Morrow, welcomed Jaden Wesley Morrow via C-section on July 11. He weighed just 13 ounces. (According to the World Health Organization , the average birth weight for male babies born full term is 7 pounds, 6 ounces.) The little boy came out fighting. “His arms and toes were movin...
Comments
Post a Comment